Monday, October 5, 2009

UPCOMING CLASSES I'LL BE TAKING

"Josephine" ...
a mixed media piece done (by me!) in a Chris Cozen workshop earlier this year.

Dear Princess Magpie friends:

So as the year draws to it's close, I am gearing up and looking forward (SOOOO forward !!!) to a 4-day ART RETREAT with my friend, Ann Deakers. We'll be at AN ARTFUL JOURNEY { http://www.anartfuljourney.com/retreats/feb2010/index.html } in Los Gatos, California, where we are signed up to spend the entire Retreat getaway under the "tutelage" of artists KELLY RAE ROBERTS and MATI ROSE McDONOUGH. We're very excited - it will be the first mixed media Retreat for both of us, and the first "swap" experience for us each as well. So much newness, so much to learn, so much to do !!!

Kelly Rae Roberts & Mati Rose McDonough - above - photo by Denise Andrade
In the interest of feeling as prepared as I can {you know Princess Magpie: always 'reading, researching, learning all I can about a technique} for said Retreat in February 2010, I am focusing my art goals on learning what I can that will see me ready as I can be (for a new mixed media kinda girl such as myself) for the FUNKY CHUNKY COFFEE TABLE BOOK project we will undertake with Kelly and Mati. Ooooh, it sounds sooooooooo F.U.N. !!!!!
I have just signed up for "COLOR MIXING" with Chris Cozen, a fabulous mixed media artist who teaches for Golden (the product line of acrylics that I just love) ... and I'll also be taking her "FAUX ENCAUSTIC" (ie, faux beeswax effect) class. Both, at STAMPING DETAILS right across town in Poway. Check out their website at: http://www.stampingdetails.com/ for Class details.

here, Chris Cozen teaching a workshop thru San Diego Book Arts / 2009

and below, an assortment of finished / unfinished pieces that I created in
a Chris Cozen workshop / 2009
(that's all in one day, folks!)

I also signed up for BEGINNER'S ALTERED BOOKS, with instructor Pat. Also at Stamping Details, this workshop is meant to introduce us beginners to techniques like cutting a niche, making windows, creating special cover effects, giving color to the pages in various ways, using glass and wire, making pop-ups (oh my!), adding embellishments, doing image transfers, and more! (more!? how could there be more than all that !!!). That class will be held 11 am - 4 pm on Sunday, November 29. { Yup; it's right after Thanksgiving, which I anticipate will be more joyful and filled with THANKS-givings than in years past.}
So ... I do hope you'll join me at one, two, or all three of these workshops.


a group of happy Chris Cozen students / 2009 / San Diego Book Arts weekend

and below, a whole bunch of fantastic Chris Cozen pieces ... ooh la la !!!



I'm a big fan of EVERYTHING at Stamping Details -- and you already know how I admire the work of CHRIS COZEN ... don't miss out! You'll be SOOOOOO glad you signed up. :-)

-- Princess Magpie

2 comments:

ann said...

I'm jealous!
Will wait with bated breath to see your beautiful art!

chrissy said...

oh my goodness. i too am sooo jealous at all of the art experiences you have going on right near you! i'm going to be in the kelly & mati class with you & ann. she is making MY apron & has been sooo sweet. i look forward to connecting with you too. wonderful blogs!
peAcE
chrissy gardner