Friday, January 16, 2009

Finding the Balance

Motherhood / Creativity.

Although my children are grown, and our "grands" are all over the age of 9 now, I continue to struggle with BALANCE in my life. I admit, I have a really hard time saying "no" when asked to do something ... but I'm learning to set boundaries. Sometimes I have to say "no" when I truly, really do not want to say "no" - but other priorities get in the way of things I want to do {like starting a new batch of limoncello this week with Victoria ... I just had to bow out, and it about killed me to do that ...}.

I'm "lifting" this quote from the Daily "I Love You, Mom" calendar that Kristi gave me for Christmas:

"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow, too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own."
-- Marguerite Kelly & Elia Parsons

Interesting - I've never seen a quote from two people before! I like the collaborative effort ...

So remember ... whether it's motherhood, your career, your education, your marriage / personal relationships, your health, your other family commitments, or your volunteerism - there will ALWAYS be something out there to get in the way of your CREATIVITY. Something to try to "rob" you of your individuality.

Maybe "rob" is too strong a word. "Sap" you of some of that creative energy might be more appropriate.

Whatever the case might be, STAY STRONG. Stay committed to your craft. Carve out time for being creative and always, always be on the lookout for inspiration.

Be well, creative friends. I'll be off-line until Monday, so ...

MAKE ME PROUD. Do something creative today!

-- Princess Magpie, aka, DAH

No comments: