Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cole Porter and Ella Fitzgerald - music to inspire you


I think I'm in excellent company, here, friends. I love COLE PORTER. I love his lyrics, I love the musicality of his work ... and I love how so many artists "do" Cole Porter songs.

NPR also loves Cole Porter -- they've done a cool little story and you can read it here:


One of my personal favorite artists that did a whole lotta Cole is ELLA FITZGERALD.

A couple of years ago, my friends Lyn and Vickie and I headed up to the USC Galen Center (their basketball arena) to witness WE LOVE ELLA: A TRIBUTE TO THE FIRST LADY OF SONG, with such amazing artists as Wynonna, Ruben Studdard, Dave Koz, Patti Austin with Take 6, Ledisi, Lizz Wright, Monica Mancini, the amazing Nancy Wilson, and the list goes on (and on) ... including a very surprise appearance by the incomparable Stevie Wonder. Our hosts for the evening were music icons Natalie Cole and Quincy Jones.

If you'd like to read more about that event, visit this link from PBS (they recorded it live that evening back in April 2007 ... which meant that we were 'treated' to a couple of the songs more than once - so they could get it just right!).


MUSIC inspires me - I like to listen to music when I am creating. I hope you enjoy learning more about Cole Porter and Ella Fitzgerald along with me ....

-- Princess Magpie

No comments: